Saturday 21 February 2015

Age Appropriate Books

Hi guys

I was watching Katytastic's video on age appropriate books and thought it was an interesting topic. So here I am writing a post on it.

I completely agree with what Kat says in this video about how different things effect different people. I am going to talk about me and one of my friends to show the difference. I can read a lot of different things that people can find triggering, I can put up with suicide and self harm and stuff to that example but I can't read about underage drinking or insomnia (don't ask why but the thing that scares me most in this world is insomnia). Whereas my friend can read about underage drinking and insomnia but not rape or comas.
At the age of 12 me and my friend decided to read 'the perks of being a wallflower' but we had no idea what it had in it just that Emma Watson was in the movie. We both came away completely shocked for entirely different reason.
This is a great example of why we should have ratings on books but instead of having 'this book is suitable for over 12s' we should have a list of things on the back of the book saying 'this book contains mild language and strong sex references' like they do on the back of a DVD, to say why the film is a 15.

Hope you didn't mind my ramblings. I would love it if you put your thoughts in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you!
    I was going to make a blog post on this myself, but I think you and Kat have pretty much said everything I would say.
    A few Michael Grant books I have actually have this (The back of Gone says 'contains scenes of cruelty and some violence') and I always thought it was a good idea for making reading a safe and fun experience for everybody.
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I was kind of scared I had just rambled and it made no sense.

      Delete