Sunday 4 March 2018

february wrap up

Hi guys,

I had a brilliant reading month in February. I read 6 books and DNFed 1.

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater
This book is the third in The Raven Cycle and honestly it was my least favourite out of all of them. It was still a 4 star and I did enjoy it but Adam was far too angsty for me in this book however I think he got more bearable as the book went on.

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
I think this was my favourite of the series but its very closely tied with The Dream Thieves. The writing in this book was so beautiful. It contains the most beautiful chapter I've ever read in my life. This was obviously a 5 star read. I loved this series so much and the last book really was a satisfying ending.

 The Wonderful story of Henry Sugar by Roald Dahl
I bought this book earlier in the month and was really excited to read it because Roald  Dahl is a hero of mine. I think he is incredible. From previous research I was aware he'd written some books for teens but i'd never managed to find it but it was in my local Waterstones so I bought it. First of all can we appreciate the cover. It's even better in person. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed by this collection, I think what Roald Dahl is brilliant with is fantasy and magical realism and the majority of the stories in this book weren't therefore I found it a bit dull. I gave this book 3 stars.

Wild Embers by Nikita Gill
I read this in one sitting and I genuinely don't remember what I thought of this book. I think it was probably decent enough but not great and obviously not very memorable. This was really disappointing to me because I love Nikita Gill's Instagram unfortunately this collection didn't grab me. I don't have a rating for this book because honestly I cant remember what it was enough to give you an accurate one


13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
I had to read this book for my school book club and I was super reluctant. I had watched the show and I thought it was far to intense and didn't deal with the topic matter very well however I thought the book was fantastic. It wasn't high class literature but I read it in less then 24 hours. I was hooked from the first page. I'm not so sure I liked Clay as a person but I thought that he was a brilliant way to narrate the story. Hannah Baker was a very likeable character and I was heartbroken for the girl. The best thing about this book was that often books about mental health read too much like instruction manuals and this one definitely didn't. I would feel very comfortable someone with depression or suicidal thoughts reading this book as long as they weren't going to be triggered by one of the plot points. I gave this book 4 stars.
 
This book was one of the only books that I was excited for its release. I used to be a giant Holly Bourne fan and for whatever reason I just stopped reading her books but when I saw the blurb for this I knew I had to read it. It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but it was very good. My biggest issue is that until about halfway through the main character really annoyed me but luckily she had character development and developed into a very interesting character to read about. The last 100 pages of this book were phenomenal. If the rest of the book was as good as the last 100 pages it would have been 5 stars unfortunately this wasn't the case and therefore I gave the book 4 stars because even when the Audrey was unbearable the romance was still super cute and well written. I think I should definitely go and the trilogy of Holly Bourne's that I've ignored for many years.
 
I DNFed this book. It was depressing and miserable. It really messed with my head and I felt like as you read it you could tell it was written by a guy with depression. It just wasn't the book I thought I was going to be and I didn't want to read the book it actually is. I'm going to do a whole post about why I DNFed this book which I will eventually link here

No comments:

Post a Comment