Sunday 29 March 2015

the DUFF by Kody Keplinger : review

*This book was given to me for free by netgalley in return for an honest review, however this doesn't effect my opinion*


The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Published by: little brown/poppy
Publication date: September 7th 2010
Genres: Young Adult, contemporary


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Thoughts

I got this book because I saw the movie trailer and thought it looked hilarious. So when I saw it on netgalley I knew I had to read it. 

The DUFF was an extremely cheesy novel that had all the stereotypes except it was a completely character driven book. At no stage did I find any of the characters annoying (as I usually do in these kind of books. I loved Bianca and Wesley together because I think it was a very realistic relationship and not at all forced. 

I don't have much to say about this book sadly but I really liked it. The book was by no means original but it manage to make an awfully cheesy plot mesmerizing and unable to put down. I will definitely be reading the companion novel 'Lying out loud' and once I've read that I will read every other book Kody Keplinger has ever written. I am giving this book 4.5 stars out of 5 just because some parts were a bit to cliche for my liking. This book was a great read after the trauma of 'Half Wild'. It's ideal for a pick me up book.

I would also like to say that when I see the film I will be doing a review of How good it was conspired to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment