Wednesday 18 March 2015

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch : review

Hi Guys

Today I am reviewing 'If You Find Me' by Emily Murdoch. Before I start with the review I would like to mention the fact that the synopsis for this book is awful and doesn't reflect the book at all but I think it is best to go int this book not knowing much about it.



If You find Me by Emily Murdoch
Published by: St Martin's Griffin
Publication date: 26th March 2013
Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Survival

There are some things you can’t leave behind…
A broken-down camper hidden deep in a national forest is the only home fifteen year-old Carey can remember. The trees keep guard over her threadbare existence, with the one bright spot being Carey’s younger sister, Jenessa, who depends on Carey for her very survival. All they have is each other, as their mentally ill mother comes and goes with greater frequency. Until that one fateful day their mother disappears for good, and two strangers arrive. Suddenly, the girls are taken from the woods and thrust into a bright and perplexing new world of high school, clothes and boys.

Now, Carey must face the truth of why her mother abducted her ten years ago, while haunted by a past that won’t let her go… a dark past that hides many a secret, including the reason Jenessa hasn’t spoken a word in over a year. Carey knows she must keep her sister close, and her secrets even closer, or risk watching her new life come crashing down.


Thoughts

I had to read this book for my school book club and I really wasn't looking forward to it. So I forced myself to pick it think that the sooner I finish it the better because I am not showing up not having read the book. But I was actually really surprised by how much I liked this book.
First of all I love the topic of this book. It is a topic I find quite interesting though I can see it being a hard read for some people as it deals with drug addiction, adoption and a bit of bullying. I would love to go into detail about the plot but I can't as it would give to much away  but what I can sat is that the plot twist is so unexpected. From the beginning you know there is going to be a plot twist but I never expected the one we got.
The book is told from Carey's perspective, which is great because Carey is a great, realistic character though at points a bit unreliable because she can't remember a lot of things before the woods. I love Carey's little sister Jenessa, she was just so cute and adorable. I just wanted to pull her out the book and carry her in my pocket (I have just realised how odd that saying is. Doesn't it sound a bit stalker-ish. Anyway).
I liked the romance in the novel. I thought it was done really well as it was the kind of relationship you have at that age. It wasn't deadly serious yet was still cute.
One thing I wasn't to keen on was the random phrases from 'the lady of shallot' in the end i just skipped them because it didn't add anything to the book, if anything it just broke the flow of the writing.

I give this book a 4/5 because it wasn't perfect there were a couple of minor plot holes and I found a part of the epilogue a bit unrealistic. I was pleasantly surprised by this book though I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as it is quite intense a points.

No comments:

Post a Comment